Research and Resources Funded by Oakland Starting Smart and Strong:
- The Glen Price Group identified and mapped programs supporting parents and informal caregivers of young children in Oakland. This report includes their findings and key recommendations for strengthening services to support informal care in Oakland. Informal Care Landscape Analysis and Mapping - Glen Price Group
- Parent Voices Oakland conducted a parent-led research project focused on families accessing informal care in East Oakland. This project used a research-justice framework to create a community-driven parent engagement strategy to gain insight on child care needs and solutions. Parent Engagement Study - Parent Voices Oakland
- Urban Strategies Council analyzed key health and education outcomes to help ground OSSS in an equity framework. This research supports the work of OSSS to understand and address disparities in health and education for boys of color. Analysis of Health and Education Outcomes for Boys of Color - Urban Strategies Council and Presentation to OSSS Task Force
- Through the support of the Hellman Collaborative Change Initiative, the Smart and Strong Kids (SSK) project is piloting innovative, deeper and more targeted strategies for African American and Latino boys attending preschool in West Oakland. This dashboard provides data and program implementation information on SSK. Smart and Strong Kids Dashboard - Harder Evaluation
- As part of the Smart and Strong Kids (SSK) project, High Expectations Parental Service developed African American Parent Advisory Councils (AAPACs) for OUSD’s Early Childhood Education Department. This document provides an overview and progress report on this work. Oakland Starting Smart and Strong African-American Parent Advisory Council (AAPAC) Progress Report: 2016-17 - High Expectations Parental Service
- The OUSD Preschool Experience Study explores the early learning experiences OUSD students have prior to entering Kindergarten (K) and Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classrooms. Data was collected on 96% of K/TK students and is available in interactive dashboards. Preschool Experience Dashboards - OUSD
Other Research and Reports:
- School Readiness, Oakland Unified District 2015 Report - First 5 Alameda describes the state of school readiness and related findings for a sample of Oakland Kindergarten students at the start of the 2015-16 school year.
- Teachers’ Voices: Work Environment Conditions That Impact Teacher Practice and Program Quality - Center for the Study of Child Care Employment presents detailed information about Alameda County early childhood teaching staff’s perceptions of work environments, and makes recommendations for action.
- Alameda County Early Care and Education Workforce Study provides demographic, education and employment characteristics (including compensation and workplace conditions) of Alameda County’s center-based early childhood education workforce.
- Access updates on California legislative bills related to early childhood: First 5 Association Bill Tracking and Resources